Friday, March 20, 2009

Ovie Warms His Hands on Cherry's Hot Air

Well, I guess I should post something about this after my previous post. If you haven't seen it, here's the goal and celebration.



Now, as I stated previously, I love Ovie's celebrations, and think Don Cherry is an idiot for saying that they are wrong.

But my first thought when I see this: It's too forced. Don't get me wrong - I like it, but it's not the same as the exuberance of him crashing into the glass, which seems a spur of the moment reaction to the excitement of scoring a goal.

This, though, this was premeditated. Admittedly. Apparently, Jose Theodore gave him the idea.

And, while it strikes me as slightly cocky to plan a celebration for a goal you haven't even scored yet, I still laughed. I like it. It's funny. And I don't see what's wrong with it. I prefer the spur of the moment jumping, but throw in one of these every once in awhile, and I'll laugh, and defend it to the death.

I don't believe it's taunting the other team. Like Greg Wyshynski stated on his blog, "If he wants to taunt, he'll taunt; mouthing off on the ice or skating past the opposing team's bench."

Well, maybe that's true, but I do believe there was some taunting going on here. No, not to The Tampa Bay Lightning, but to one Don 'The Dick' Cherry.

I truly doubt this 'hand warming' would have happened if Cherry had never opened his vile mouth in the first place.

No, I believe this celebration happened purely for Cherry's benefit. And that makes me love it all the more.

Looking forward to this weekend's Coach's Corner.

***

The Blue Jays Beat The Rays today 15-4. Looks good for the Skychiefs (the Jays triple-A affiliate) seeing as all but one of the RBI's came from guys that won't be on the major league roster (and that single RBI came from a guy who will be a bench player, and even he might not make the team - sorry Bautista).

Brad Mills gave up 4 ER in 5 IP, with a walk and 4 K, but Jason Frasor, Shawn Camp, Brandon League and Jesse Carlson threw an inning each, and combined to give up 2 hits, 5 K, 1 BB and gave up zero runs for the rest of the game. The three 'sure thing' Jays starters in the game (Rios, Wells and Barajas) went a combined 1 for 6 with 2 walks (both Rios') and no RBI's.

According to Mike Wilner, my favourite baseball blogger, despite Mills poor line, he actually increased his likelihood of making the team. You see, Wilner's in Florida, watching all of the Jays games. He's up close, watching the action, talking to the players and coaches, and I'm here, in Canada, reading Wilner's posts and checking MLB.com for all of my Jays info. I can't wait until I can finally watch some games, so I can put some of my own well thought out analasys (read: drunk ramblings) into the Jays, rather than stealing it all from 'my sources.'

***

The Red Wings play the Thrashers tonight, in Atlanta. Kovalchuk is back in the lineup for the Thrashers after missing the last three games with an injury. It is Hossa's first game in Atlanta since he was traded from the Thrashers to the Penguins last year.

If we lose this game, we don't deserve the President's Trophy. The Stanley Cup, yes, but not the President's Trophy. I just don't want to play the Sharks without home-ice advantage.

By the way, does it really seem like 22 games since the Wing's five game losing streak?

***

No favourite player stat today. In it's place, I'll make mention of my favourite Beatles song of the moment. Being a bit heartbroken these days, I find myself listening to The Night Before about every second song now.

No comments: