Friday, June 19, 2009

It Still Hurts

Today, one week after Detroit's 2-1 loss in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals to the Penguins, I'm still upset about it. I'm bitter, I'm angry, I'm sucking on vines of sour grapes.

Of course, being a vocal Wings fan, I now have to endure the many, many comments from all the customers that I deal with daily. Having basked in the glory that was my team winning only a year ago, I now must bask in the humiliation of my team losing to the very team they beat in 2008.

I think the reason I'm so upset this year is that I truly believe that the Wings are the better team. They didn't play like it, and the team that played better won, but the team that played better was not the better team.

I won't make excuses about reffing, fatigue or injuries. The Red Wings SHOULD have won this series, and they didn't, despite have 2-0 and 3-2 leads.

That's what hurts most of all.

I was upset that the Ducks pushed us to seven games, because I don't believe, still, that they were good enough to do that. It wasn't their doing, we LET them do it.

And it's the same story with the Penguins. Don't get me wrong, they are a great young team, and they have successful years in front of them. But they shouldn't be in those years yet. We are still the cream of the league, and we didn't prove it.

Perhaps that is what bothers me the most. That everyone out there now thinks that Pittsburgh was, is the better team, and that is just so misguided. They won the cup, deservedly so, in a seven game series.

But the better team allowed them to win.

And no one out there will realize that.

No comments: